Sunday, December 31, 2006

Project Bandaloop at the National Museum of Singapore



For the past few weeks, I have found it very difficult not to have a reason to go to the National Museum of Singapore. Here, I thank the museum for its interesting and inspiring selection of programmes and activities organised as part of its Opening Festival.

Yesterday, I caught the Project Bandaloop performing live at the National Museum of Singapore. After watching the performance, I have a strong feeling that the choreography of its performances at the museum were site-specific. I was thrilled to see how the movements of the performers interact so fluidly with the spaces of the museum.

The performance by the Project Bandaloop was held at the Concourse and Glass Atrium. When I was there yesterday afternoon, I noticed that the beams from the sun shining through the large glass panes of the glass atrium. It was against this backdrop that the performers performed. Read more about the people who makes Project Bandaloop possible right here: http://www.projectbandaloop.org/bio_company.html








I noticed that safety was one of the primary concerns. Before the performance, I observed that there were people helping to check the equipment to ensure that it was safe for use. Even during the performance, I noticed that the performers would help one another check the equipment that they are using. I heard from the news that the Project Bandaloop uses mountain-climbing equipments for their performances.



















I felt impressed by the performances put by by Project Bandaloop. Firstly, I would think that it takes a lot of physical strength to perform some of the stances that the performers had used, for example, climbing up the ropes. In addition, the moves appeared to demand a greater level of agility from the performers. Since it should be a challenge to remain clear-headed while having to remain upside down for a considerable period of time, I would also think that endurance is greatly demanded from each and every performer too.

After posting the photos above, I realised that it is simply impossible to appreciate the creativity and the art of the Project Bandaloop by looking at photographs. One simply has to be there, live, to experience the movements, the interactions between the lines created by the dancers, the rhythms of the music, and the structures and spaces of the museum.

If you have missed the earlier performances, the Project Bandaloop will perform again tonight (31 Jan 2006) at the National Museum of Singapore at 11 p.m. Tonight's performance is held in conjuction with the Countdown at the National Museum (Singapore)

**
After the performance, the performers of the Project Bandaloop stayed behind to answer to questions from the members of the audience. It was a thoughtful and nice gesture, I think. Alright, my confession here, I had wanted to ask them what the basic training regime of the performers would be like, but I was too shy to ask. If any reader here managed to do so, please do share with me. Thank you.

**
You may also wish to check out the following URLs:
http://www.projectbandaloop.org

http://www.nationalmuseum.sg/openingfestival/event_perf_loft.html

http://www.nationalmuseum.sg/openingfestival/event_special_countdown.html
http://www.nationalmuseum.sg

No comments: